College Hill Neighborhood Association
Round Table Minutes – May 18, 2020
Persons in Attendance: Ben Alford, Carol Christenson, John Christensen, Susan Duffy, Sue Fackler, Andy Frye, Karl Fundenberger, Brett Martin, Sara O’Keffe, Duane Pomeroy, Katrina Shaw, Erin Snethen, Zack Snethen, Ardith Woertz.
- Minutes – No action taken.
- Treasurer’s Report – Report submitted by Tom Luellen and given by Ardith and accepted as submitted.
- Recycling Drive – update by Carol
- Discussed continuation of program.
- Till-star, where we have taken recyclables to for many years, was closed for the impromptu drive in March. Another business was found, and recyclables were taken there in north Topeka.
- Dollars received have been down because of the price of aluminum and program participation.
- We will continue with Till-star and assess options after the next drive in July. Drive is usually the weekend after the 4th of July celebration.
- Neighborhood Cleanup – Ben Alford is coordinating this event and it is being rescheduled to the fall. We may be able to have dumpsters for cleanups in both the fall and next spring.
- Brief discussion on Neighborhood Clean-up.
- Date has not been set, looking at Fall 2020.
- County will supply dumpsters. This is a joint event with Elmhurst Neighborhood.
- Once the date is set, we will need to give County 1-month notice.
- Other groups may be interested in taking part and providing volunteers, i.e. church volunteers from Central Congregational.
- Blossoms event – Sara Meadows/Sue Fackler & their committee sold premade planters in lieu of our annual Blossoms plant sale. Ideas for the silent auction items will be discussed.
- Thank you to Sue and Sara and committee was expressed.
- All premade planters were sold.
- Having the silent auction in conjunction with the Night Out Against Crime was identified as an option.
- Neighborhood Garage Sale – currently scheduled for June – Cletus Linenberger. has volunteered to coordinate this event. – Should we proceed with this event?
- Garage Sale — currently set for June 11-13.
- We need to verify if we can have this event.
- 3rd and 4th of July activities – should we proceed with these events?
Below is a summary of discussion points:
- July 4th activities will proceed in a different manner as we may still have health related restrictions in place in July.
- New Coordinator is needed.
- All agree to not having a parade.
- Discussed having a family-based community walk.
- Will still do same route. Start time 10:00 AM – people will start where they are, not at Westminster Church or Boswell Park.
- Church Bells will signify start—bells start at 9:58 AM then patriotic bell music will pay for 30 minutes.
- Holding a Celebration Walk in lieu of a parade was approved. Possible name choices: Celebration Walk, Freedom Walk, Celebration of Freedom Walk, Independence Walk
- Events will be more family/small group focused – there will be no organized group activities.
- Encourage entire neighborhood to participate and to decorate their homes. May still have home decorating contest or have folks submit and post pictures.
- Walk same route as the parade route or own walk own block if it rains. KEEP SOCIAL DISTANCE. Encourage all to wear festive masks or 4th of July masks.
- Keep 2 to 3 sidewalk squares between.
- Put flags or reminders up every 6 feet apart.
- There will be no congregating at the park.
- If neighbors are not comfortable participating in the walk, they may join on Facebook Live.
- There will be nothing sponsored during the evening or at the park.
- Erin will put together a flyer. Event and related activities will be posted on Facebook and email. Signs will also be made and put-up in the Park.
- National Night Out – information has been provided by email, the neighborhood is registered for the event, volunteer needed to coordinate this activity and to possibly attend meetings. National Night Out is now scheduled for October 10th.
- Night out rescheduled to October 10th.
- Discussed showing a movie and having campout.
- Incorporate silent auction was discussed.
- Social distancing and other health related restrictions will be observed.
- Park Projects – update from information gathered at the Chili Feed
- Park project is on hold until July meeting.
- Pictures of possible park project options were shown.
- Identified the following ‘actions to take’:
- Make sure we are maintaining any agreements that may have been made with the City, Menninger’s, etc. related to the gazebo.
- Explore how it work with the City or County to do work on local parks? We need to advocate for our projects, look for grants, etc.
- Ask the County where Boswell Park improvements fit into the County’s neighborhood park improvement plans.
- Old Business – see Park Project
- New Business
- Events and Activities – We need to be creative as year goes on. Schedule other activities later in year.
- Motion was made by Susan Duffy to provide a $100 donation to the Westminster Presbyterian church for being a good neighbor and for ringing nightly bells. Motion was seconded by Andy Frye. All agreed. Motion passed.
- Discussion on various houses that have been sold, possible Airbnb, and houses that host nightly/weekly parties. Yard and home maintenance, sewer clogging, downed twigs and branches, lack of social distancing and possibly other behaviors that are counter to current governance requirements were also mentioned, as was possible impact on home values.
- It was recommended that we encourage neighbors to be aware of what is going on in their blocks and that we could send out reminders to the neighborhood on what each person might do to maintain the neighborhood. Ardith asked for ideas to be sent to her.
- Ardith also mentioned that we will no longer have a Community Officer from the Police Department in attendance at our meetings.
- Next Round Table Meeting will take place the 3rd Monday in July, the 20th at 7:00 pm., hopefully in person, at Westminster Church located at 13th & Boswell.
Gail L. Kennedy
25 May 2020