Meeting Minutes – May 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Meeting Minutes– May 20, 2019

Attendees:  Carol Christensen, John Christensen, Sue Fackler, Andy Fry, Brendan Jensen, Gail Kennedy, Charley Krumins, Tom Luellen, Erin Snethen, Ardith Woertz

  1. Community Officer Update 
    • Officer not in attendance.  No update provided.
  2. Treasurer’s Report
    • Treasurer’s Report accepted and approved as submitted.
  3. Minutes
    • Minutes approved as submitted.
  4. Neighborhood Events and Updates
    • Neighborhood Cleanup
      • Event determined to be a success.  Good participation.  Both dumpsters were filled.
    • Blossoms Event – Flowers, Breakfast, and Silent Auction
      • All determined to be a success.  Costs slightly up and Sales slightly down from last year. Looking for ways to improve and sustain –
      • Date:  this year was Mother’s Day weekend – question was asked if event should be held earlier? 
      • Type of Plants:  potting, hanging, etc.  — no decision made.  Tomato plants were available this year – this was a plus.
      • Additional Benefits Mentioned:  social gathering — neighbors getting to know neighbors.
    • Neighborhood Garage Sale
      • Clete Linenberger will chair.  Date: weekend of June 15th 
    • July 3rd & 4th Activities –
      • report on barricades: options for barricades discussed:  preliminary purchase option presented, also talked about renting, other options from city, etc. – Three questions to consider identified: Do We Need? Do We Purchase? Do We Rent? — More research to be completed — decision not finalized. 
      • turtle races scheduled 
    • July 3rd: The Band Signal Ridge is confirmed. 
      • Food = Dessert Potluck.
    • July 4th Parade
      • Susan Duffy will chair this year.  Special Events Permit in Process. Need to determine course of action for barricades.
    • Flyer will go out about July 3rd and 4th Activities
      • includes the recycling drive info.
    • National Night Out
      • Date:  August 10th.  
      • Will identify movie to show.  
      • Need event chair, plus committee to run the event.
  5. New Business
    • Recycling was successful.  Next Recycling Date:  July 13th 
    • 12th Street Project was mentioned.  All were encouraged to review Project information on the City of Topeka’s website.
  6. Old Business
    • Moving the monument markers from Jensen home
      • Options were discussed – several volunteers move the monument markers, or we pay a company to move the monument markers and place them.
    • Donation to the Church – $500 donation unanimously approved.
    • Update on Memorandum of Understanding requested by Parks and Rec. – no update.  Will put on next meeting agenda.
  7. Next Round Table Meeting will take place the 3rd Monday in July on the 15th at 7:00 pm.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Gail Kennedy

Meeting Minutes – July 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Meeting Minutes–July 22, 2019

Attendees: Carol Christensen, John Christensen, Andy Fry, Gail Kennedy, Liz Krumins, Tom Luellen, Dona Nordstrom, Jenny Odernatt, Christi Stewart, Erin Snethen, Keith Tatum, Clark Trammell, Ardith Woertz

  1. Community Officer Update:  No update 
  2. Guest Speakers:
    • Keith Tatum – School Board Candidate – running for At-Large Position.  Talked about background and interests.
    • Clark Trammell – City Council, District 6 Candidate.  Neighborhood participants. Talked about candidacy and neighborhood.
  3. Treasurer’s Report:   Report presented by Tom Luellen and approved. 
  4. Minutes:  Minutes were approved as submitted.
  5. Neighborhood Events and Updates
    • National Night Out:  discussed advertisement, movie, menu, and bus arrival time. 
    • Homes Tour:  Discussed availability of homes and various options that will be taken to the Nautilus Club for consideration.
  6. New Business
    • Donation to Boy Scouts and ROTC at Topeka High:  Unanimous decision – donate $50 to each group.
    • More Activities at Boswell Park:  National Night Out – August 10th; Annual Meeting – September 16th; Wall of Fame – October – Date to be Determined.  Suggestion related to holding a Harvest Festival Activity in the Park – possibly in conjunction with Wall of Fame.
  7. Old Business
    • Contingency for Future 4th of July events:  Discussion involved putting in a rain time with application, doing all can to hold the parade, scaling down the parade, enhancing communication system, normal set-up time at 10AM and contingency back-up set-up time at 1PM.
    • College Hill Markers:  Discussed moving and placement
    • Recycling:  Results not in.  Activity appears to be down. Next recycling date to be determined – possibly in October.
    • Welcome Baskets:  Jenny Odermatt provided report. Sue Boling is helping deliver baskets.  Delivered approximately 8 to 10 in past few months. Low on basket contents – donations needed.  Basket items:  LED light bulbs, trash basket, packet of seeds, small baskets, copy of most current College Hill Newsletter, brownie/cookies. Dusk to dawn bulbs were suggested – will discuss further at our next meeting.
    • July’s Community Building Meeting:  Discussed meeting agenda.
    • Robberies:  Discussed bike robberies that have occurred during the past few months
  8. Next Round Table Meeting: Annual Meeting — 3rd Monday in September (September 16th), at 7:00 pm. Speaker:  Judy Wilson from Safe Street.  Board members are asked to bring baked goods.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Gail L. Kennedy

Meeting Minutes – November 2018

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Agenda– November 19, 2018

Attendees: Adrianne Johnson, Andy Fry, Ardith Woertz, Carol Christensen, Christi Stewart, Dona Nordstrom, Erin Snethen, Oliver Snethen, Gail Kennedy, Jenny Odermatt, Sue Frackler, Tom Luellen

Speakers: Adrianne Meyer, Officer Friedrichs

  1. Community Officer Update – Officer Friedrichs provided general information on vehicle and home burglaries in the College Hill neighborhood.  He said several arrests have been made and some property has been recovered.  He also talked about Holiday Crime – packages being stolen from porches and increased parking lot crime on Wanamaker.  He suggests trying to time deliveries for a time when someone is home, having packages sent to work if possible, asking a neighbor to pick up packages, or asking the delivery service to hold the package for pick-up.  He left us with some overarching advise — Be aware and look out for each other – be good neighbors.
  2. Treasurer’s Report – Tom Luellen provided September 17, 2018 thru November 19, 2018 report.  Total Deposits:  $172.00, Total Disbursements: $206.00, Balance: $31,955.68.
  3. Midland Care PACE – Adrianne Meyer, Community Liaison with Midland Care PACE provided an overview of the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE).  PACE provides a variety of services to help persons 55 and over stay in their home.  Services include and are not limited to transportation, day services, meal preparation, physical therapy, home health.  Services may be subsidized or direct pay.  Program Contact Information: 1-800-491-3691 or www.midlandcare.org
  4. Boswell Park Bricks – Tom Luellen has been approached by several people about adding to the personalized bricks in Boswell Park.  Question was asked if we want to have a Boswell Park Brick fund raiser.  Response was positive.  Tom will check with Lardner’s on cost to produce the bricks, etc…  Other logistics also need to be explored.  Talk of an additional fund raiser spurred discussion on ways to spend monies.  Projects that monies may be earmarked for were discussed briefly.  Projects and other items mentioned during the discussion included and were not limited to lighting in the park, other park improvements, forming a committee to do further brainstorming, bylaws and rules for spending money and asking the Parks Department for an update on Masterplan.   
  5. Chili Feed – Ardith Woertz talked about the date/month for the Chili Feed — January or February.  It was decided that February was the better month.  Ardith will explore church availability date options.  Discussion also included general need for volunteers with set-up and tear-down and fill-in during event specifically mentioned.  Rearranging placement of food items to alleviate power outages and utilize space differently, the need for more hotdogs and checking into Wi-Fi availability for payments were also discussed.  Suggestions on additional food and beverage items, etc. are welcome.  Having Celebrity Judges will be explored — Ardith and Adrianne Johnson will work on this.
  6. Recycling Drive — December 8th.  Carol Christensen talked about drive and benefits of advertising.  It was decided that social media and paper flyers would be used.  Flyers will also include information on other up and coming events.  Erin Snethen will prepare social media posting and the flyer.  Who will deliver the flyers was discussed.
  7. Holiday House Decorations – houses should be decorated by December 15th. Judging will occur on or after the 15th of December.
  8. Next Round Table Meeting: Moved to 4th Monday of January, January 28, 2019 at 7:00 PM.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Gail L. Kennedy

Meeting Minutes – January 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Agenda/Meeting Minutes– January 28, 2019

Attendees: Ardith Woertz, Gail Kennedy, Tom Luellen, Christi Stewart, Leila Uhl, Andy Fry, Adrianne Johnson, Carol Christensen, John Christenson, Philicia McKee, Erin Snethen, Jenny Odermatt, Dona Nordstrom, Susan Duffy

Speakers: Philicia McKee of Keep America Beautiful and Officer Hendricks and Watch Commander Simmons of the Topeka Police Department

  1. Community Officer Update – Officer Friedrichs provided general information on crime stats in the College Hill neighborhood and he reviewed year-end Topeka stats.  He advised all to lock cars and rolls up windows. There was a request for longitudinal crim stats that will be checked into by Officer Henricks.  General invite to share information with friends and family that may be interested in a career in law enforcement or dispatch to contact the Topeka Police department. (See attached Handouts)
  2. Keep America Beautiful – Philicia McKee, Keep America Beautiful, Executive Director, Keep America Beautiful—Topeka/Shawnee County… provided handouts and an overview of the 2019 Tentative KAB Calendar and she highlighted two scheduled activities/events:  the Free Battery Exchange and Get Down and Get Dirty.  Handouts are attached.  Ms. McKee also distributed copies of the 2019 Recycling Directory — copies may be obtained online at www.kabtopsh.org Ms. McKee may be contacted by email at kabtopsh.org or by phone at 785.224.0446 (office) or 785.290.1105 (cell).

There was also discussion about the College Hill Recycling – lower intake and participation is down.  Proposal was made to reduce pick-up to three (3) times per year – March, July and November.  There was also discussion to reduce the type of items to be picked up and that items should be clean and safe — aluminum cans, bronze, and copper were identified.

An article and more information will be including in the newsletter.

  1. Treasurer’s Report – Tom Luellen provided November 11, 2018 thru January 28, 2019.  Total Deposits:  $83.00, Total Disbursements: $120.00, Balance: $31,918.98.  (See attachment for details).
  2. Chili Feed – Date is February 16, 2019, 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM.  Location:  Westminster Presbyterian, 13th and Boswell.  Volunteers are needed as are donation. Various people volunteered time and donations. Discussed celebrity judges and advertising.
  3. Park Project — suggestions, should a sub-committee be appointed? – There was open discussion. No sub-committee was formally formed. Relationship to Brick Project was included in discussion.
  4. Update on Boswell Park Bricks – A meeting with City Park’s department is planned to explore possibilities.  Pricing from 2 companies for a 4×8 brick was discussed — Hutton’s $35.00; Lardner’s – $17.75.  Details of each offering will need to be confirmed as project progresses.
  5. Neighborhood Survey from Freedom Now USA – survey was focused on Human Trafficking.  Dues to due date, Ardith completed the survey
  6. Next Round Table Meeting: March 18, 2019 at 7:00 PM.

Additional Agenda Item: Welcome Baskets – Two (2) have recently been delivered.

Handouts – TPD College Hill Crime Stats, Keep America Beautiful Handouts, Treasurer’s Report, Free Income Tax Assistance Sites (See Attachments)

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Gail L. Kennedy