Meeting Minutes – November 2016

PRESENT: Katrina Shaw (President), Ardith Woertz (Vice-President), Tom Luellen (Treasurer), Brendan Jensen, Erin Snethen, Debbie Pomeroy, Duane Pomeroy, Carol Christensen, Sue Fackler, Karen Robertson (Secretary)

COMMUNITY OFFICER’S UPDATE: Officer Hendricks was present to give the update in place of Officer Wall and handed out a printout of the crimes in the neighborhood for the period from September 19 – November 8. The statistics showed that more than 25% of the burglaries reported were thefts from vehicles. Aggravated home burglaries increased in the southern part of the area – “aggravated” means that someone was in the home when the burglary occurred. He mentioned that it is a tough time to be in law enforcement and that Topeka has a young police force. They appreciate the support and cooperation from our neighborhood. He closed by repeating the usual holiday reminders – be sure to keep homes and vehicles locked, place packages out of sight, be aware of your surroundings, etc.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Tom Luellen reported a beginning balance as of 9/6 of $27,613.28, credits of $2,227.50, payments of $1,445.06, and an ending balance as of 11/6 of $28,743.06. In making the official changeover from previous treasurer Bev Law to Tom, he was required to get a tax I.D. number for the College Hill Neighborhood Association; he gave a copy of the form to the president.

Sue Fackler reported on the Wall of Fame event, saying that it was a good tour with good participation. It didn’t make a large amount of money but it always brings good publicity to the neighborhood. They are discussing not having the food in the park next year. A big event is being planned in 2018 for the 20th anniversary of the Wall of Fame event.

Sue also reported on the calendars with photos of neighborhood homes. She ordered 100 and has quite a few left to sell. She encouraged folks to buy them for Christmas gifts and will try to spread the word through social media.

Carol Christensen reminded the group that recycle day will be December 10 and reported that participation is down. She asked for suggestions of ways to remind neighbors to save and put out their aluminum cans, etc. This led to a discussion of how to get information distributed in the neighborhood. There is not a block person on every block who is willing to go door to door to hand out flyers, etc. The Pomeroys volunteered to help cover blocks without a block person.

HOLIDAY DECORATING CONTEST: Judging for the contest will be done on December 20 by Kat Shaw and Erin Snethen.

CHILI FEED: After reviewing the times of local college basketball games which might prevent folks from attending, it was decided that Saturday, February 11, would be the best day for the Chili Feed. Kat will check with University United Methodist Church to make sure that date works for them. Ardith asked the possibility of moving the Chili Feed to Westminster Presbyterian Church, but the stairs are an issue there. Ardith and Brendan volunteered to help with the event.

PARADES: Brendan reported that there has been discussion at the city about parade permits and the fairness of requiring the same permit fees for the small neighborhood parades as the large downtown ones. A new class of parade is being proposed which will be called “processions.” They will have more reasonable fees and a grant program to help neighborhoods with the cost of the barricades. This has not been passed yet and he will have an update for the January meeting.

JANUARY MEETING: The next meeting will be on the third Monday, January the 16th.

OTHER DISCUSSION: Sue suggested asking someone to represent Boswell Park at County Commission meetings. Kat suggested asking Andy Fry to do that: she will contact him. Susan Duffy would be another possibility. Sue also felt someone needs to work on the neighborhood markers, especially along 17th Street – the Zellers have been working on some of them

Brendan asked if another of the city bike racks is needed in the neighborhood. There is one at 17th and Washburn and several on campus. He suggested asking for one at the Catholic Campus Ministries at 17th & Jewell, or at 17th & Macvicar.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:55.

Meeting Minutes – April 2016

CHNA Minutes – April 18, 2016

  1. 12 attendees including the members of the State Historic Preservation Office who came to discuss the latest results of the Historical Survey
  2. Historical Survey results – Tim Paris and his colleague explained the results of the historical survey. College Hill has 60% historically contributing homes north of 15th street and 75% contributing homes south of 15th  This makes the neighborhood eligible to become a historic district.  One of the advantages of being a designated historical district is tax credits.  For more information contact Tim Paris with the city of Topeka at 785-368-3013.
  3. Stars and Stripes Festival – Volunteers needed
  4. Clean up day occurring on 4/23/16 with AmeriCorps
  5. Suggestion made by Susan Duffy to have Monique or Sasha from the city come to address our neighborhood regarding the recent code changes.
  6. Neighborhood Resource Expo from 9-11 am on 4/22/16 at the Expo Center
  7. Recycling – Drive moved to 7/9/16
  8. Blossoms – Scheduled on 4/30/16 from 8-11 am. Come early for the best selection
  9. Garage Sales – Scheduled for the weekend of 6/10/16
  10. National Night Out – Andy Fry suggested a movie on the lawn

Respectfully submitted by Clara Gamache

Meeting Minutes – March 2016

CHNA Minutes – March 21, 2016

  1. 13 attendees including officer Wall and Friedrichs
  2. Crime report
    1. 2 automobile break-ins
    2. Safety Tip: Report your stolen items no matter how insignificant
  3. Treasurer Report
  4. A total of 10 College Hill Plaques were purchased and are for sale at $45 each.  The neighborhood cost was $45 so there is no markup.
  5. Burger Stand would like to use the College Hill logo. A vote was made to counter offer with a coupon to be placed in the newsletter in exchange for using the logo.
  6. Update on moving the College Hill stones in place – Delores and Brenden will be working with Abby Schlingensiepen.
  7. The findings from the Historic Preservation Society will be presented at the 4/18/16 round table meeting.
  8. Central Topeka Strong Update: the Dillons follow up group conducted a survey of residents about the impact of the closing of Dillons on Huntoon. More surveys are to be completed and contact with the group can be made on Facebook or via email at centralstrongtopeka@gmail.com.
  9. Brenden provided a city update:
    1. AmeriCorps possibly coming to clean up neighborhoods within the city including College Hill. Suggestions include painting the playground equipment, cleaning up alleys, and assisting homeowners with repairs and clean up.
  10. A block captains initiative is being spearheaded by Sue Fackler
  11. Recycling update: Only $35 was raised at the last recycling drive. A discussion of ideas to bring in more money or discontinue the drive was had with Carol Christensen, the primary contact for the recycling drives.
  12. Vote to elect Clara Gamache as secretary passed.

Meeting Minutes – February 2016

CHNA Minutes – February 15, 2016

  1. 14 attendees including officer Wall and Friedrichs
  2. Crime report
    1. 3 automobile break-ins in January. All cars were unlocked.
    2. 2 license plates were stolen
      • Safety Tip: Use at least one anti-theft screw or change at least one or two screws to a flat head or phillips head to make it more difficult to remove the license plate. Thieves don’t often carry multiple types of screw drivers.
    3. Discussion of Dillon’s closing and what the city and police department plan to do with the vacant space.
  3. Treasurer’s Report
  4. Chili feed Feedback: All feedback was positive and people enjoyed the new arrangement of tables.
  5. Nel Richmond passed away.  She will be memorialized in the newsletter and a memorial will occur during the Fourth of July weekend.
  6. Newsletter: all submissions will be required by 2/24/16.
  7. College Hill Plaques: Degginger’s will be producing them at a cost of $45 each. The CHNA will not be selling to earn a profit due to the cost.
  8. Vote to make Erin Snethen president and Katrina Shaw Vice President was passed.