Meeting Minutes – July 2021

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Minutes:  July 19, 2021

Zoom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86946610897?pwd=SmtQU0NzRWVqaVJtVGxpaUpuVVNQZz09

Attendees:  Christi Stewart (President), Tom Luellen (Treasurer),  Sue Fackler, K.O. Noonoo, Brian Adams, Dana Adams, Andy Fry, Debbie Pomeroy, Duane Pomeroy, Carol Christensen, John Christensen, Erin Snethen, Kat Shaw, Ben Alford

Zoom Meeting

  1. Introductions 
  2. Minutes – May minutes (amend to say March); motion from Sue, second from Tom. Minutes approved.
  3. Treasurer’s Report
    • Presented by Tom Luellen (Treasurer); see attached
    • Three grants are reflected – Kansas Leadership Center, Topeka Community Foundation, United Way
    • $300 for Pineapple Dream for July 4 expense
    • Andy moved, second from Carol. Report approved.
  4. Lightbulbs – Andy
    • We have all the lightbulbs and have developed a plan to distribute them.
    • Thanks to everyone
  5. Wifi Project – Andy
    • The Wifi is connected. They are working on yard signs to notify park users of the service.
    • Also working on a press release to notify the wider community.
    • Sue requested something for the church newsletter.
    • Carol asked about cost; Andy said we have funds for years to cover this. This is combination of KLC and United Way of Greater Topeka
  6. Traffic Calming
    • Andy is working with the traffic engineer to have signage by the end of the summer.
    • 15th and Jewell and 13th and College are the intersections.
  7. KLC Grant – Vaccinations
    • We also received dollars to encourage people to get vaccinated. We plan to set something up in the park
    • Andy was working with the health department. They used funds for barricades (8) to make safer places for kids to play and ride during the event.
    • This is half of what it takes to have the parade around the park.
    • Carol asked where they would be stored. Andy shared that they will be stored in a neighborhood garage.
  8. Recycling Drive – Carol Christensen
    • Carol shared that we had the drive last weekend (July 10).
    • We made $164 which is good with less than 10% of the people recycling. This added to $11 from neighborhood clean up to total $175.
    • Thanks to Kat for sharing in the newsletter and encouraging people to participate. Thanks to Debbie Pomeroy for helping this time.
  9. National Night Out
    • August 7 at Boswell Park 
    • Committee decided on a movie night. Andy has worked with the health department to give vaccines. We will close Jewell from 14th to 13th Streets.
    • Carol asked about food. We have a $75 stipend.
    • It will be early to be kid-friendly. 
    • We have equipment; Dillons donates water bottles.
    • July 29 is the Westminster movie night at 8:00pm. Andy asked about a Facebook event. Sue will share it out.
    • Flyers will be made by Safe Streets Coalition.
    • Carol asked to include September 11 recycling drive. Christi will share the annual meeting date and time on it as well.
  10. Overview of 4th of July
    • Thanks to everyone for helping with this event this year. It was scaled down and turnout was good.
    • Thanks to Westminster Church
    • Sue said that neighbors are hoping for full parade soon with the floats. The focus was on Collins Park this year as it was their 50th.
    • Debbie said that we want to share changes to the route prior to the parade.
    • Erin asked for feedback. She said it was great at the park and having events following the parade.
    • Carol shared that the slim turnout on the parade – some with a late start may have gone straight to the park.
    • Pastor K.O. of Westminster shared that the parade had great energy but it wasn’t clear what was free and what was for sale. Big signs would be helpful. We could have used a little more energy when giving awards.
    • John shared that a group of Mormon missionaries pulled weeds on the brick walk the day before the event.
    • Brian said it was the first parade for them and that they loved it. They met new neighbors.
    • Sue asked about the band. John said that they usually play for the Midland event. He said they would be back next year.
    • Andy said it was the largest gathering in his six years at the park for the events and that they stayed for a long time. Thanks to Zach for the music.
  11. Old Business
    • Proposals about the Neighborhood
      • Sue said that folks have worked on this. She wonders if the board has a position.
      • Christi said that the board told the group to keep working and that we would keep an eye on it. She received a letter from the city about a VRBO. This is the new city process according to Andy.
      • Christi is excited that Haus bought the place and are doing good things to it.
      • Debbie said that the owners have not taken possession of the place to the south.
      • Sue asked that the board reach out to Donna and Clark to ask what they want from the board.
      • Duane said they worked with the realtor about the property near them that has two kitchens that it cannot be a duplex.
      • Debbie shared that our involvement is important in the neighborhood with these issues.
    • Criminal Behavior 
      • Folks are keeping an eye out on those homes that are issues in the neighborhood.
      • Some neighbors have been threatened for calling the police.
      • Sue suggested that we include in the newsletter that we are looking for a new person to help with crime and reporting in the community.
    • College Hill Markers
      • John asked about the three markers left at the Duffy’s garden.
      • Andy said the Duffy’s are ok with us storing them there for now.
      • Christi said we are working on it. Andy shared that if anyone wants to take it on as a project, it is ready for that.
      • Kat shared that there is one on Mulvane that needs to be replaced.
      • Sue asked about a newsletter before the annual meeting. Maybe we can ask someone to take on this project.
  12. New Business
    • College Hill T-Shirts
      • Kat has worked on getting new shirts for CHNA. 
      • A lot of people asked about her shirt at the July 4 event. She worked with Go Blue on getting prices and a store put up. We can mark up items as a fundraiser for the neighborhood. We need to sell 25 to get the lower prices.
      • We need to decide on white or black ink. Erin suggested that white stands out well on all colors.
      • Kat suggested we mark them up to make some money for the neighborhood.
      • The store will be online and the shirts will be here by National Night Out. 
      • Erin asked if we could do this more than once. Kat said we can do a second order later in the year. Erin asked about tanks. Kat did not see it on the list.
      • vii.Carol asked about communication. Kat said it would go out through the neighborhood email and to Westminster. Sue feels like we are excluding those who are not online. Kat encouraged people to reach out to those who do not have access to add to their order. 
    • College Hill Bricks
      • Sue asked Tom about orders.
      • Tom and others are working on it. We can push it out during the annual meeting.
      • Debbie shared that there is a Boswell alumni event at the park on September 25.
      • Sue shared that the park agreed to look at improvements and possibly moving the bricks from the west to the center area.
      • Andy said that an online form would help. Kat can help with it and link it to the PayPal account.
  13. Our annual meeting will be September 20 at Westminster Church.
    • There was discussion about a special speaker from the city to present on the VRBO policies.
    • Andy will help secure a speaker.
    • Sue shared that free lunches are still available and are home-cooked on weekdays from 11-12 until August 12 for anyone 0-18 and their families.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Brett J. Martin 

Meeting Minutes – May 2021

Attendees:  Christi Stewart (President), Tom Luellen (Treasurer), Brett Martin (Secretary), Gail Kennedy, Brian Adams, Dana Adams, Debra Stufflebean, Sue Fackler, K.O. Noonoo, Andy Fry, Debbie Pomeroy, Duane Pomeroy, Carol Christensen, Erin Snethen, Zach Snethen, Leo Cangiani

Zoom Meeting

  1. Introductions 
  2. Minutes – March minutes; motion from Andy, second from Zach. Minutes approved.
  3. Treasurer’s Report
    • Presented by Tom Luellen (Treasurer); see attached
    • Sue shared that we cleared over $1,500 for Blossoms; Zach asked about past revenue; Sue said it is usually around $2,000.
    • Sue moved, second from Gail. Report approved.
  4. Operation Food Secure – Brett
    • The program continues on Thursday nights. We have some volunteers but welcome more.
    • We have a variety of routes. We hope to get to know our neighbors better as the weather warms.
    • The program delivered its 100,000th box this week.
    • We deliver to 64 households. We serve outside College Hill if they don’t have a program in their neighborhoods.
    • Anyone interested in volunteering can contact anyone on the call who volunteers. You can also contact collegehillfood@gmail.com. A special thanks to Zach who picks up every other week for us.
  5. House Lights Project Update – Andy
    • Andy shared that we made the initial purchase of light bulbs from Lowes. 
    • The lights have photo cell and will help illuminate the neighborhood and give a sense of safety and inclusiveness.
    • Neighbors will deliver and ask to help install the bulbs and get to know neighbors.
    • Light bulbs have a life of 3-4 years and an annual cost of $5.
    • Internet from Westminster Presbyterian Church – Wifi for students to use for school and other activities. There is funding to continue for a couple of years.
    • Traffic calming measures project – paint to help remind drivers to drive slowly through the neighborhood.
    • Susan shared about the purple lights that are throughout the neighborhood. These are failed lights from Evergy. They are working to resolve it.
    • Sue Bolley does the new neighbor baskets. Will lights be included? Andy will give some to her for the new neighbors; he is in contact with her to get lights to her.
    • Debra asked about a request for a “Children at Play” sign at 15th and Jewell. Andy can request that of traffic staff at the city.
  6. Recycling Drive – Carol Christensen
    • March drive brought in $112. The amount we are being paid now is less and accounts for the decrease from December. Since 1990, $14,115.08 has been raised for the neighborhood.
    • Sorting is necessary and helps with the volunteers. The next drive is July 10.
  7. Old Business
    • Neighborhood Clean Up Day 
      • Zach reported that we filled two dumpsters. We avoided a mess in the parking lot. Karl and Zach picked up some trash in the alleyways. They set aside the recycling.
    • Blossoms Sale 
      • Karl and Meredith were excellent volunteers. She appreciates the help of the younger residents. We will be back next year and hopefully with a breakfast inside the church. If you see good auction items, please set them aside for the sale. Debra shared several items. This is a partnership with Westminster for more than 20 years.
    • July 4  
      • Sue asked about the hot dog lunch. Westminster is willing to do the lunch if we decide to do the parade. Susan is not sure whether the city is issuing parade permits.
      • The barricades are $1,500-1,700 for the parade. This is a separate application.
      • There was discussion that the decision was made at the last meeting to have a 4th of July walk instead of a parade.
      • Debra shared that the lost her husband last month and that the parade was incredibly important to him and to their family.
      • Andy asked about the Music in the Park the night before the 4th of July. 
      • Sue shared that the church will be less enthused about the hot dog lunch if there is no parade and no other activities at the park.
      • Erin asked if we had the music after the walk in the morning with hotdogs, ice cream, etc. to get people together in the park. 
      • Debra asked about costumes and decorations for families. The awards for the houses, and costumes could be given in the park.
      • Andy moved that the 4th of July walk in College Hill like we had last year (separately) will be followed by music, hot dog lunch, and awards in the park. Sue seconded. Motion passed.
      • Susan will talk with Councilwoman Naeger about a proposal for barricades and parades.
    • College Hill Stones
    • Boswell Bricks
  8. Our next meeting will be July 19. We will meet on Zoom or at Westminster Presbyterian Church.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Brett J. Martin

Meeting Minutes – September 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Minutes of the Annual meeting – September 16, 2019

President Ardith Woertz called the meeting to order.

  1. Community Officer Update: No update
  2. Treasurer’s Report: Report presented by Tom Luellen and approved.
  3. Minutes of last meeting: Minutes were approved as submitted.
  4. Speaker – Judy Wilson of Safe Streets: Wilson suggested CHNA use a calling tree or citizen’s patrol to keep our neighborhood informed and safe. Citizen patrols could report drug activity, strange traffic, etc. to keep neighbors alert. Wilson said to pay special attention to people wearing backpacks and riding bicycles late at night.
  5. City Council Candidates for District 6: Lucas Ryan, Hannah Nager and Clark Trammel introduced themselves and discussed their campaigns.
  6. 12th Street – South Kansas to Gage Blvd. Project:

David Bevens, City of Topeka Community Education Manager introduced Jeff Lolly from Bartlow and West and Keith Duncan, Project Engineer for Topeka’s Public Works Department to discuss this project. Duncan stressed the City’s need for “complete streets” which safely allow for car, pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Discussion and planning for the project is to continue through 2020. Project construction is to take place 2021-23. Estimated cost to expand 12th Street is $13.2 million of Shawnee County funds. School bus routes will not be affected. However, Topeka Metro traffic/stops will be greatly improved. Bevens, Lolly and Duncan provided several handouts of detailed information and encouraged public comments and input on the project.

  • New Business: Sue Fackler reported the College Hill Home Tour of 2019 was cancelled. Instead, the Nautilus Club will host a fall festival at Boswell Park on October 13 for neighborhood families. Activities include a food truck, music, pumpkin decorating, and games. If anyone would like to volunteer to help, contact Sue Fackler.

John Christensen reported the next recycling date is November 2.

Kari Herr asked if CHNA has a plan to spend any funds on neighborhood projects. The group discussed the large balance in the CHNA bank account and a committee will be formed to look at projects.

Topeka Councilman Brendan Jensen acknowledged the neighborhood’s concerns and questions of the YoungLife houses on Boswell and College. The situation will continue to be discussed at the next CHNA meeting.

The next Round Table Meeting will take place November 18, 2019 at 7p.m.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Christi Stewart

Meeting Minutes – November 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Meeting, November 18, 2019 – Minutes

Persons in Attendance: Carol Christenson, John Christensen, Clark Duffy, Sue Fackler, Andrianne Johnson, Gail Kennedy, Tom Luellen, John Parton, Jasmine Puderbaugh, Christi Stewart, Don Zeller.

  1. Community Officer Update – Officer Strickland attended.  No report was provided as data was not updated/current.  A demonstration of Google Community Crime Map was provided.  Go to site, pull up USA, zoom to Kansas and then to Topeka. Officer Strickland recommended not leaving car running with keys inside.  He provided his phone number if need to contact him — 785.861.0197
  2. Treasurer’s Report – Report provided by Tom Luellen and accepted. Barricade discussion. 
  3. Minutes of last meetingMinutes from the July meeting were made available. 
  4. Speaker – Bill Fiander, Representative from Topeka zoning department. Mr. Fiander indicated that he was at meeting to listen and understand.  

 

  • Report from committee on neighborhood housing concerns – several neighborhood representatives have looked into homes in the College Hill neighborhood that appear to not be being used in accordance with City code. Discussion on what can and cannot be done and possible course of action took place. More work to be completed.

 

  • New Business
    1. Holiday activities — Christmas decoration contest.
    2. Chili feed – Possible date discussed. 

 

  • Old Business
    1. Recycling results – last drive raised $107. Appreciation was expressed.
    2. Octoberfest report – Day was a success. Served as substitute for the Home Tour. Nautilus Club does not think activity is a good fit for them.
  • Next Round Table Meeting on January 13, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.  Will have a short organizational meeting before the next Round Table Meeting for committee on generating ideas on spending funds in the College Hill accounts.  Short organizational meeting for committee after the Round Table Meeting. Several suggestions/ideas were mentioned: Exercise Stations, Porch fest, Light bulbs, markers… more to be discussed on 13th of January.

Meeting Minutes – May 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Meeting Minutes– May 20, 2019

Attendees:  Carol Christensen, John Christensen, Sue Fackler, Andy Fry, Brendan Jensen, Gail Kennedy, Charley Krumins, Tom Luellen, Erin Snethen, Ardith Woertz

  1. Community Officer Update 
    • Officer not in attendance.  No update provided.
  2. Treasurer’s Report
    • Treasurer’s Report accepted and approved as submitted.
  3. Minutes
    • Minutes approved as submitted.
  4. Neighborhood Events and Updates
    • Neighborhood Cleanup
      • Event determined to be a success.  Good participation.  Both dumpsters were filled.
    • Blossoms Event – Flowers, Breakfast, and Silent Auction
      • All determined to be a success.  Costs slightly up and Sales slightly down from last year. Looking for ways to improve and sustain –
      • Date:  this year was Mother’s Day weekend – question was asked if event should be held earlier? 
      • Type of Plants:  potting, hanging, etc.  — no decision made.  Tomato plants were available this year – this was a plus.
      • Additional Benefits Mentioned:  social gathering — neighbors getting to know neighbors.
    • Neighborhood Garage Sale
      • Clete Linenberger will chair.  Date: weekend of June 15th 
    • July 3rd & 4th Activities –
      • report on barricades: options for barricades discussed:  preliminary purchase option presented, also talked about renting, other options from city, etc. – Three questions to consider identified: Do We Need? Do We Purchase? Do We Rent? — More research to be completed — decision not finalized. 
      • turtle races scheduled 
    • July 3rd: The Band Signal Ridge is confirmed. 
      • Food = Dessert Potluck.
    • July 4th Parade
      • Susan Duffy will chair this year.  Special Events Permit in Process. Need to determine course of action for barricades.
    • Flyer will go out about July 3rd and 4th Activities
      • includes the recycling drive info.
    • National Night Out
      • Date:  August 10th.  
      • Will identify movie to show.  
      • Need event chair, plus committee to run the event.
  5. New Business
    • Recycling was successful.  Next Recycling Date:  July 13th 
    • 12th Street Project was mentioned.  All were encouraged to review Project information on the City of Topeka’s website.
  6. Old Business
    • Moving the monument markers from Jensen home
      • Options were discussed – several volunteers move the monument markers, or we pay a company to move the monument markers and place them.
    • Donation to the Church – $500 donation unanimously approved.
    • Update on Memorandum of Understanding requested by Parks and Rec. – no update.  Will put on next meeting agenda.
  7. Next Round Table Meeting will take place the 3rd Monday in July on the 15th at 7:00 pm.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Gail Kennedy

Meeting Minutes – July 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Meeting Minutes–July 22, 2019

Attendees: Carol Christensen, John Christensen, Andy Fry, Gail Kennedy, Liz Krumins, Tom Luellen, Dona Nordstrom, Jenny Odernatt, Christi Stewart, Erin Snethen, Keith Tatum, Clark Trammell, Ardith Woertz

  1. Community Officer Update:  No update 
  2. Guest Speakers:
    • Keith Tatum – School Board Candidate – running for At-Large Position.  Talked about background and interests.
    • Clark Trammell – City Council, District 6 Candidate.  Neighborhood participants. Talked about candidacy and neighborhood.
  3. Treasurer’s Report:   Report presented by Tom Luellen and approved. 
  4. Minutes:  Minutes were approved as submitted.
  5. Neighborhood Events and Updates
    • National Night Out:  discussed advertisement, movie, menu, and bus arrival time. 
    • Homes Tour:  Discussed availability of homes and various options that will be taken to the Nautilus Club for consideration.
  6. New Business
    • Donation to Boy Scouts and ROTC at Topeka High:  Unanimous decision – donate $50 to each group.
    • More Activities at Boswell Park:  National Night Out – August 10th; Annual Meeting – September 16th; Wall of Fame – October – Date to be Determined.  Suggestion related to holding a Harvest Festival Activity in the Park – possibly in conjunction with Wall of Fame.
  7. Old Business
    • Contingency for Future 4th of July events:  Discussion involved putting in a rain time with application, doing all can to hold the parade, scaling down the parade, enhancing communication system, normal set-up time at 10AM and contingency back-up set-up time at 1PM.
    • College Hill Markers:  Discussed moving and placement
    • Recycling:  Results not in.  Activity appears to be down. Next recycling date to be determined – possibly in October.
    • Welcome Baskets:  Jenny Odermatt provided report. Sue Boling is helping deliver baskets.  Delivered approximately 8 to 10 in past few months. Low on basket contents – donations needed.  Basket items:  LED light bulbs, trash basket, packet of seeds, small baskets, copy of most current College Hill Newsletter, brownie/cookies. Dusk to dawn bulbs were suggested – will discuss further at our next meeting.
    • July’s Community Building Meeting:  Discussed meeting agenda.
    • Robberies:  Discussed bike robberies that have occurred during the past few months
  8. Next Round Table Meeting: Annual Meeting — 3rd Monday in September (September 16th), at 7:00 pm. Speaker:  Judy Wilson from Safe Street.  Board members are asked to bring baked goods.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Gail L. Kennedy