Meeting Minutes – May 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Meeting Minutes– May 20, 2019

Attendees:  Carol Christensen, John Christensen, Sue Fackler, Andy Fry, Brendan Jensen, Gail Kennedy, Charley Krumins, Tom Luellen, Erin Snethen, Ardith Woertz

  1. Community Officer Update 
    • Officer not in attendance.  No update provided.
  2. Treasurer’s Report
    • Treasurer’s Report accepted and approved as submitted.
  3. Minutes
    • Minutes approved as submitted.
  4. Neighborhood Events and Updates
    • Neighborhood Cleanup
      • Event determined to be a success.  Good participation.  Both dumpsters were filled.
    • Blossoms Event – Flowers, Breakfast, and Silent Auction
      • All determined to be a success.  Costs slightly up and Sales slightly down from last year. Looking for ways to improve and sustain –
      • Date:  this year was Mother’s Day weekend – question was asked if event should be held earlier? 
      • Type of Plants:  potting, hanging, etc.  — no decision made.  Tomato plants were available this year – this was a plus.
      • Additional Benefits Mentioned:  social gathering — neighbors getting to know neighbors.
    • Neighborhood Garage Sale
      • Clete Linenberger will chair.  Date: weekend of June 15th 
    • July 3rd & 4th Activities –
      • report on barricades: options for barricades discussed:  preliminary purchase option presented, also talked about renting, other options from city, etc. – Three questions to consider identified: Do We Need? Do We Purchase? Do We Rent? — More research to be completed — decision not finalized. 
      • turtle races scheduled 
    • July 3rd: The Band Signal Ridge is confirmed. 
      • Food = Dessert Potluck.
    • July 4th Parade
      • Susan Duffy will chair this year.  Special Events Permit in Process. Need to determine course of action for barricades.
    • Flyer will go out about July 3rd and 4th Activities
      • includes the recycling drive info.
    • National Night Out
      • Date:  August 10th.  
      • Will identify movie to show.  
      • Need event chair, plus committee to run the event.
  5. New Business
    • Recycling was successful.  Next Recycling Date:  July 13th 
    • 12th Street Project was mentioned.  All were encouraged to review Project information on the City of Topeka’s website.
  6. Old Business
    • Moving the monument markers from Jensen home
      • Options were discussed – several volunteers move the monument markers, or we pay a company to move the monument markers and place them.
    • Donation to the Church – $500 donation unanimously approved.
    • Update on Memorandum of Understanding requested by Parks and Rec. – no update.  Will put on next meeting agenda.
  7. Next Round Table Meeting will take place the 3rd Monday in July on the 15th at 7:00 pm.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Gail Kennedy

Meeting Minutes – July 2019

College Hill Neighborhood Association

Round Table Meeting Minutes–July 22, 2019

Attendees: Carol Christensen, John Christensen, Andy Fry, Gail Kennedy, Liz Krumins, Tom Luellen, Dona Nordstrom, Jenny Odernatt, Christi Stewart, Erin Snethen, Keith Tatum, Clark Trammell, Ardith Woertz

  1. Community Officer Update:  No update 
  2. Guest Speakers:
    • Keith Tatum – School Board Candidate – running for At-Large Position.  Talked about background and interests.
    • Clark Trammell – City Council, District 6 Candidate.  Neighborhood participants. Talked about candidacy and neighborhood.
  3. Treasurer’s Report:   Report presented by Tom Luellen and approved. 
  4. Minutes:  Minutes were approved as submitted.
  5. Neighborhood Events and Updates
    • National Night Out:  discussed advertisement, movie, menu, and bus arrival time. 
    • Homes Tour:  Discussed availability of homes and various options that will be taken to the Nautilus Club for consideration.
  6. New Business
    • Donation to Boy Scouts and ROTC at Topeka High:  Unanimous decision – donate $50 to each group.
    • More Activities at Boswell Park:  National Night Out – August 10th; Annual Meeting – September 16th; Wall of Fame – October – Date to be Determined.  Suggestion related to holding a Harvest Festival Activity in the Park – possibly in conjunction with Wall of Fame.
  7. Old Business
    • Contingency for Future 4th of July events:  Discussion involved putting in a rain time with application, doing all can to hold the parade, scaling down the parade, enhancing communication system, normal set-up time at 10AM and contingency back-up set-up time at 1PM.
    • College Hill Markers:  Discussed moving and placement
    • Recycling:  Results not in.  Activity appears to be down. Next recycling date to be determined – possibly in October.
    • Welcome Baskets:  Jenny Odermatt provided report. Sue Boling is helping deliver baskets.  Delivered approximately 8 to 10 in past few months. Low on basket contents – donations needed.  Basket items:  LED light bulbs, trash basket, packet of seeds, small baskets, copy of most current College Hill Newsletter, brownie/cookies. Dusk to dawn bulbs were suggested – will discuss further at our next meeting.
    • July’s Community Building Meeting:  Discussed meeting agenda.
    • Robberies:  Discussed bike robberies that have occurred during the past few months
  8. Next Round Table Meeting: Annual Meeting — 3rd Monday in September (September 16th), at 7:00 pm. Speaker:  Judy Wilson from Safe Street.  Board members are asked to bring baked goods.

Minutes Respectfully Submitted by Gail L. Kennedy

Meeting Minutes – July 2018

College Hill Neighborhood Association Meeting

7:00 p.m. July 16, 2018

Westminster Presbyterian Church

Present: Katrina Shaw (President), Ardith Woertz (Vice-President), Tom Luellen (Treasurer), Gail Kennedy, Adrianne Johnson, Andy Fry, John E. Christensen, Susan Duffy, John Bowes, Dona Nordstrom, Zach Snethen, Theo Alford-Shaw, and Officer Hendricks.

Community Officer’s Update: The Crime Statistics Report was not available.  HOT TOPIC – car burglaries.  Nothing significant – foot traffic still an issue.  If missing something, calling pawn shops can be a useful resource.  Make sure you write down serial numbers on large ticket items, including bicycles, guns, etc.

Property Maintenance Compliance: Anything on the “lot” with the exception of vehicles that may be operable and are tagged come under the review of this unit.  Housing violations include inside and outside the home.  Most exterior issues involve paint, weeds (yard with vegetation over 1 foot high), and broken windows.  General junk on open porch (i.e. appliances, boxes of stuff, scrap wood) can be sited.  Homeowners are provided ten (10) days to comply after signing for the letter from the City.

Squatters are a real issue in our neighborhood.  Suggestion made that we contact all the City Council members to support the code compliance unit with more funds.

Treasurers Report: Tom Luellen reported a balance of $32,000; spent $600 on 4th of July event(s)l; and just received $1,300 in invoices.

Grant Update(s): Will be reimbursed $1,200 from the City of Topeka for the Barricades Grant – barricades cost $980.

Monuments on 17th – unveiling in planning with Margarita’s Jalisco.

July 4th Recap: THS ROTC not interested in coming.  Shawnee Heights High School came and performed.  Motion for donation to Shawnee Heights High School of $50 passed.  Susan Duffy and Tom Luellen seconded.

Recycling: John Christensen reported that after July 4th made $111.34.

NNO: Our NNO for College Hill will be jointly sponsored with the Topeka Community Cycle Project.  “Sandlot” will be showing at Boswell Park on August 11th.  Event starts at 6:00 p.m.  Movie will be shown after dark.

Annual Meeting: September 17, 2018.  (a) Elections to be held; and (b) Peggy Oster with the Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging will be the guest speaker.

Neighborhood Improvement Association: A portion of College Hill – East side of College Ave. to Washburn is being brought to our attention for further discussion with the City Planning Department.

The next meeting will be on the third Monday in September at 7:00 p.m.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

Meeting Minutes – May 2018

College Hill Neighborhood Association Meeting

7:00 PM May 21, 2018

Westminster Presbyterian Church

PRESENT: Katrina Shaw (President), Ardith Woertz (Vice-President), Tom Luellen (Treasurer), Regina Castle, Gail Kennedy, Adrianne Johnson, Jenny Odermatt, Erin Snethen, Officers Hendricks and Wall.

COMMUNITY OFFICER REPORT: Officers Hendricks and Wall updated as to the current crime statistics reflecting an increase in crime in the area of 15th and Boswell – 4 plex, some issues and calls on disturbances, more activity than normal, especially 15th street (burglaries to unlocked car on Plass; vehicle and residence burglaries on Garfield; attempted burglary with damage to both doors on Washburn; and possible abandoned vehicle on 15th street).

TREASURERS REPORT: Tome Luellen reported $2,600.00 earned at the Blossoms event, which is roughly $800 more than last year and the most ever earned.

NNO: Will be held August 11th at 6:00 PM in Boswell Park.  Ardith Woertz reported community members Gail Kennedy and Sarah Peterson-Herr were recruited for the committee.  The College Hill committee will meet after the last NNO orientation meeting in July.

FOURTH OF JULY: Grants application completed for barricades to help deter costs.  Volunteer hours valued at $20 per hour.  July 3rd and July 4th – Stars & Stripes Festival.  July 3rd band cost is $400.

COLLEGE HILL GARAGE SALE: May 31st through June 3rd.  Same weekend as the Mulvane Art Fair.  Stadium Movie will be June 2nd at Washburn University.  Admission will be a canned food item for donation.

RECYCLE DRIVE: July 7th

WELCOME BASKETS: Update: 1516 Plass, 1404 Plass, & 1607 College baskets were delivered.  New neighbors at 15th & Boswell.  Thank you to Jenny Odermatt for all of your hard work.

BOARD ELECTIONS: Will occur at the September annual meeting.  Katrina will be unable to attend because of her Washburn class. 

The Secretary and Vice-President positions are open.

Guest Speaker will be Peggy with the Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging

JULY MEETING: The next meeting will be on the third Monday, July 16th at 7:00 PM

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

Annual Meeting Minutes -September 2017

COLLEGE HILL ANNUAL MEETING

September 18, 2017

 

Guest Speaker – Neighborhood Association president Katrina Shaw introduced Travis Tenbrink, assistant arborist with Topeka Public Works. He explained the purpose of the city’s tree program, which is to maintain the trees on public property and in the neighborhood right-of-way (between the sidewalks and the streets). That involves over 1200 miles of streets and 70-80,000 trees. There is someone on duty 24 hours a day to call if a tree or branch falls during the night.

Travis reported that there is more Dutch Elm Disease around the city this summer and also that Ash Borer Disease has been found in the city this June. He also gave some hints on caring for the mature trees found in College Hill – maintain a stable environment for the tree, provide plenty of water, don’t dig around the roots, and only trim dead wood, not green wood.

Community Officer Report – Officer Hendricks distributed a printed report of crime in the neighborhood, pointing out that the early morning hours on Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the highest crime times. Some of the neighbors present asked Officer Hendricks about recent occurrences in the area – a burglary in the 1400 block of Jewell and reports of nighttime gunfire. The officer told the audience to be sure to email him of issues when they occur so he can justify asking for extra patrols. His email address is mhendricks@topeka.org

Treasurer’s Report – Tom Luellen handed out a detailed report which listed a balance of $30,448.13 as of September 18.

Other Business – plans for the Wall of Fame and Homes Tour are well underway. There will be a few changes this year – the Wall presentation will be later in the afternoon and there will not be food as in previous years. Volunteers are needed for that event, for the Chili Feed and other neighborhood activities, and to start a Historic Committee.

The next neighborhood Round Table will be held November 20. After refreshments the meeting was adjourned.

 

Meeting Minutes – July 2017

COLLEGE HILL NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF THE MEETING: July 17, 2017

Attending: Katrina Shaw, Jenny Odermatt, Tom Luellen, Erin Snethen, Susan Duffy, John Christensen, Ardith Woertz, Andy Fry with Ava, Officer Wall.

 

  1. Community Officer Update by Officer Wall.

Discussion of new stop signs.

No new crime in our neighborhood. Concerns expressed by the President. She observed four children (12-16 years old) walking down the alley.  They were looking in to her car through the window.  She called out from the house, to ask what they were doing.  The youth moved along without incident.  Congratulations to Officer Wall on his baby boy.

  1. Treasurer’s Report.

Approved.

  1. Grant Update.

Waiting on approvals from the City and Washburn to put markers on 17th Street in the median.  Also, waiting on a response from the City Relations Department on the paperwork needed to be reimbursed for the barricades.

  1. July 4th Report.

Very Successful.  Recommendation: continue to purchase a set of historical patriotic costumes each year.  Reimbursement needed for the barricades ($938.00) and for bills that Susan Duffy submitted that she had advanced for the event.

  1. National Night Out Update.

August 5th, at 6:00 p.m.  The neighborhood received $100 from Safe Streets.  Movie night: we will watch Muppet Movie in the park.  Donated goods will include water, hot dogs and buns from Hy-vee, side dishes from Reser’s.  Twenty-five groups requested a bus for Stuff the Bus, but only 8 are available.  Groups who had a bus last year aren’t eligible this year.  Officer Wall will be stopping by around 9:00 p.m.

  1. Annual Meeting.

Will be Monday, September 18th at 7:00 p.m in the basement of the Westminster Presbyterian Church.  Board members should bring a dessert.

Matt, an arborist for the City of Topeka will speak.  There is a tree planting program through the City, they will plant maples in the right-of-ways for free.  They can also trim trees.  Ash borers are in the area.  The adults lay larva in the tree and the larva is what damages the tree.  Trees can be treated. Several neighbors attending discussed contacting Brown=s Tree Service for treatment.

Discussed forming a committee to evaluate seeking historical status for our neighborhood.

  1. Banners on Washburn

Each banner would cost $88.00, plus the purchase of the arm sets at $224.00 each.  This may be cost prohibitive.

  1. Other business.

Possible code compliance issue on Washburn.  Need to contact Monique with Community Engagement, for the City of Topeka Neighborhood Relations.

Next meeting is the Annual Meeting.

Newsletter should be out by September 4th.

Jenny volunteered to start the Welcome Wagon again.